UPDATED: Laurier responds to offensive TikTok video posted by student

Trigger warning: This article includes content that individuals may find upsetting or disturbing.

Wilfrid Laurier University issued a statement on May 14 in response to a video that was posted on TikTok by an alleged Laurier student with the username @llana.tamouri.

“Wilfrid Laurier University does not condone behaviors that promote hate, induce fear, or threaten people’s safety. We are aware of the reports of a video posted to social media by a student, and we are taking appropriate action,” the statement posted to the Laurier Twitter account and Instagram stories said.

StopAntisemetism.org shared the video in a tweet, which includes two women promoting anti-Israel rhetoric and violent, staged images.

“This type of incitement for violence & antisemitism must be investigated @LaurierPres – your Jewish students deserve to feel safe at your school,” the tweet said.

The video and response from Laurier have received backlash and garnered debate about the university’s approach to action when responding to hate-fuelled incidents, with many online users calling for the creator of the video to be expelled.

“I should let you know, I forwarded this to the Waterloo police. They contacted me an hour ago. They’ll be contacting you too,” Twitter user @ShaiDeLuca said in a comment posted in response to Laurier’s statement.

In a reply to another comment criticizing Laurier on an Instagram post unrelated to the incident, the university said there is “more information to come.”

“Wilfrid Laurier University does not condone behaviours that promote hate, induce fear, or threaten people’s safety. This type of behaviour is unacceptable and, we are committed to creating a culture that is inclusive and safe for everyone. At this time, it appears the video has been removed from the account that originally posted it. We are following up on this situation and will take the appropriate action,” Graham Mitchell, Laurier director of communications and issues management said in an email response to The Cord’s request for comment.

“The WLU Students’ Union stands with the University in condemning acts that promote hate, induce fear, and threaten people’s safety,” the Students’ Union said in an Instagram post.

Laurier Students’ Union president, Pegah Jamalof, did not respond to The Cord’s request for a statement at the time this article was published.