UPDATED: Laurier alum and sports reporter charged with harassment for threatening hockey player boyfriend

BdQVz73CcAABG99

Tieja MacLaughlin (Photo via Twitter)

Tieja MacLaughlin, 25-year-old sports reporter and Laurier alumna was criminally charged Thursday evening after allegedly threatening to kill 19-year old boyfriend, Jackson Playfair.

MacLaughlin was charged with felony harassment domestic violence in Washington state.

According to The Waterloo Record, MacLaughlin is being held for one more night in jail waiting for an arraignment hearing Friday.

The bail for her case has been set at $50,000 US according to The Record.

MacLaughlin threatened boyfriend Jackson Playfair, a junior hockey player with the Western Hockey League’s Tri-City Americans in Kennewick, Wash., apparently after hearing he had been dating someone else.

Playfair is the son of Jim Playfair and nephew of Larry Playfair, both former NHL players.

According to the Tri-City Herald, she called and told him “he would be dead by the end of the night” and she was headed for Kennewick.

Police confronted MacLaughlin at a Kennewick hotel, urging her not to contact Playfair. She promised to return to Canada, but did not.

She allegedly sent text messages to Playfair, asking him to meet at the hotel the next day. He notified the police, who showed up and arrested her on Saturday afternoon.

On Tuesday, MacLaughlin appeared in court on the charges of felony threats and denied making any threatening remarks, the Herald reported. She has been ordered not to contact Playfair.

Felony harassment charges carries a maximum penalty of five years of imprisonment and a $10,000 fine. However, according to The Record, MacLaughlin would not likely face the maximum sentence due to her background and history.

MacLaughlin was a former sports reporter at Rogers TV Waterloo Region, a volunteer for Laurier Athletics and a sports writer for The Cord.