Excessive government regulations threaten society

In a world where cut throat business practices dominate the corporate scene, it’s easy to see how health and safety standards and accommodation for  the disabled are areas overlooked when the market doesn’t demand it.

However, recent government regulations have proven that in some cases, the obsession with ensuring health, safety and accessibility has simply gone too far.

It has been taken to the point of being downright damaging, repressive and impractical toward businesses.

An example is demonstrated from the United States Department of Justice, led by the Obama administration’s Attorney General Eric Holder.

Holder has mandated that all public pools — including those at hotels and community centers — must include mechanized lifts to ensure disabled access.

These lifts are expensive to install at a prohibitive cost ranging from $8,000 to $20,000 US dollars.

In turn, this may influence some hotels and centers to close their pools entirely.

While it is understandable that accessibility is a priority, this expensive solution will drastically harm public pools and may force them to shut down.

As a less-expensive alternative, staff could be mandated to help lift disabled people in and out of pools instead.

This policy has not been enforced yet, and the administration has vowed to hold out on enforcing it until next year.

However, in theory, lawsuits could already be carried out against establishments with swimming pools that have failed to comply with the new regulations.

This is one of many recent examples of creeping government regulations.

Regulations that seek to micromanage the practices of businesses and other establishments.

In New York City, Mayor Michael Bloomberg has attempted to ban the sale of soft drinks in portions with a volume over 16 ounces.

These drinks will be banned within all city restaurants, as well as at other establishments such as movie theatres and sports stadiums.

This measure is meant to target obesity and promote a healthy lifestyle.

However, what it really does is impose an arbitrary limit upon personal choice.

It similarly, impacts the ability of companies to sell a product in whatever amount people desire to buy it.

There is no consideration for the possibility that someone may just be very thirsty or might be buying a big drink for a long walk or drive.

Regardless of people’s intentions in purchasing large drinks, it raises some fundamental questions that citizens, desperately need to ask.

Is it really the business of the government to micro-manage such minute decisions in people’s lives as what size drink they order?

Is it really worth taxpayers’ money to pass and enforce ridiculous laws such as these?

Defending this law, New York City’s Deputy Mayor Howard Wolfson stated, “People will come to see this very much in the interest of public health.

This is going to start a nationwide movement toward this, a nationwide trend.”

Unfortunately, there is already a widespread trend here, one that is growing across America and beyond.

This is a trend to enact needless government regulations where they are not necessary, and to limit citizens and businesses alike with red tape.

These sorts of excessive regulations are strangling and bloating the American economy, and cast all government regulation in a negative light.

The truth is, without government regulation of any sort, we would live in a state of anarchy.

However intrusive government regulation into the practices of private businesses are, even when regulation is needed, they will start to appear reprehensible and undesirable in the eyes of citizens when ludicrous legislations such as these continue to be passed and proposed by the government.