Erb and Culture is the new nightclub hotspot

View this post on Instagram

Were you at the Grand Opening?

A post shared by Erb And Culture (@erbandculture) on

With a new school year comes the return of the students that keep Waterloo’s nightlife thriving. While Phil’s, Pub on King, Dallas, and other bars and clubs remain enticing places to go on a night out, a new night club, Erb and Culture, is here to compete with the best spots in Waterloo.  

Erb and Culture takes over the former location of Beta Nightclub on 24 King Street North, which closed its doors in 2017. With Beta being known as the centre of the KW Electronic Dance Music scene, Erb and Culture aims to bring in a mix of high level and up-and-coming performers and to play great hip hop and mainstream music. According to owner Tyson May, it would like to extend its appeal beyond just students to become a community staple.

I would hope that people would see us as not only the best nightclub, but the coolest place for corporate events, fashion shows, music releases, dance shows. If we had our screen up, this would be Jurassic Park right now.

— Tyson May, in an interview with The Chronicle in June 2019

May, a local entrepreneur, is also the Director of Operations for Meltwich Food Co. and owns two franchises himself. He hopes to create a new type of club in Waterloo that can serve as a space that promotes all types of urban art, and sees Erb and Culture as more than just a nightclub.

While speaking with the Waterloo Chronicle in June, May said, “I would hope that people would see us as not only the best nightclub, but the coolest place for corporate events, fashion shows, music releases, dance shows. If we had our screen up, this would be Jurassic Park right now.” 

Despite Erb and Culture facing a lot of competition in the area, with Chainsaw and Pub on King in especially close proximity, it would have a unique appeal if it lives up to May’s vision.  

May sees Erb and Culture as a night club with a “modern corporate presentation” and its two-level interior with extravagant chandeliers fits this aesthetic.

It’s in a prime location close to the central student population and is not too far away from the young professionals in Kitchener, which is goo news considering the type of atmosphere May hopes for. Erb and Culture should fit right in with the hip restaurants and stores nearby, giving uptown Waterloo a new and improved nightlife location. 

Open Tuesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, each night’s event features a different host with reasonable cover and drink deals.  ‘Show Out Fridays’ includes $10 cover and $6 Hennessy shots, while ‘Show Me Sum Saturdays’ boasts no cover for ladies, $4 tequila shots and $150 Hennessy bottles.  If you want to avoid the cover altogether and have $3.50 mixed drinks, go for ‘Uptown Tuesdays’ which promises “Urban Vibes from Local DJs.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3FcM2hgZWb/

You can send Erb and Culture a DM on Facebook or @erbandculture on Instagram to secure a spot on the guest list and bottle service, but make sure you do so well in advance as it is already in high demand.

The early returns seem promising, with good reviews on Google and a great reputation already among those around Laurier campus.  Here’s hoping that Erb and Culture can deliver on its goal to be a top-end urban nightlife spot in uptown Waterloo and to give students, professionals, and any other locals a great place to spend a night out.