Editor’s Note: Defending Sarah Jama’s right to free speech

/

Canadaโ€™s New Democratic Party has proven that it does not have โ€œthe courage to do whatโ€™s rightโ€ which is a slogan on their website after removing the partyโ€™s Hamilton MPP Sarah Jama from caucus near the end of October. 

This removal follows the snowball effect of Jamaโ€™s Oct. 10 statement posted on X calling for the โ€œend all occupation of Palestine land and end apartheid.โ€ 

After backlash from Ontario Premier Doug Ford and corrective action by Ontario NDP leader Marit Stiles,. Jama said on  X on Oct. 11 โ€œI unequivocally condemn terrorism by Hamas on thousands of Israeli civilians. I also believe that Israelโ€™s bombardment and siege on civilians in Gaza, as was also noted by the United Nations, is wrong. 

Why, then, was she removed from caucus? 

In their statement on the issue, the NDP said Jama had been removed due to taking a  โ€œnumber of unilateral actions that have undermined our collective work and broken the trust of our colleagues.โ€ 

However, on their website, the NDP states that if elected, they will be a โ€œforce for peaceโ€ that do not โ€œfuel conflict and human rights abuses abroad.โ€ 

Is this not what Jama was doing? In a follow-up tweet to her apology on Oct. 11, Jama added โ€œI stand by the position of our federal party.โ€ The outcry and subsequent removal of Jama from caucus in response to her statement seems like an overreaction when other Canadian politicians have called for ceasefires themselves. 

Kitchener Green MP Mike Morrice called for a ceasefire by signing a petition to the Government of Canada on Feb. 26. Waterloo Liberal MP Bardish Chagger did the same. 

On May 31, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau himself said the country has been “calling for an immediate ceasefire, an urgent increase in unhindered humanitarian assistance, and the release of all hostagesโ€ in a post on X.  

None of these individuals have been removed from their positions due to their calls for a ceasefire. The removal of Jama from caucus stands against Canadaโ€™s parliamentary privilege itself, where individuals are permitted to speak freely in the โ€œmost important of the privileges enjoyed by members of Parliament.โ€ according to the House of Commonsโ€™ official website. 

Now, it can be argued that Jama took her call to social media. But under the Canadian  Charter of Rights and Freedoms, every Canadian has freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression. This includes freedom of the press and โ€œother media of communication.โ€  

Jamaโ€™s removal is unfair and breaks these given rights.  

This all leads me to believe that perhaps in forthcoming years, we’ll see even more authoritarian restrictions on what we can and can’t post on social media in this country โ€” sort of like what Bill C-18 has already started. 

Serving the Waterloo campus, The Cord seeks to provide students with relevant, up to date stories. Weโ€™re always interested in having more volunteer writers, photographers and graphic designers.