Alone and glad

(Photo by Jody Waardenburg)
(Photo by Jody Waardenburg)

If you tell anyone you’re spending Valentine’s Day alone, they’ll look at you as if you’re about to eat a kitten. What’s so weird about spending some quality time on the holiday of love with the person you love the most: you? Nothing, that’s what.

Being alone on Valentine’s Day can be more fun than hanging out with some random date or the person you’ve been really meaning to break up with for months but don’t have the stomach to do it.

If we face the facts, being alone is cheaper, easier and probably a lot less nerve-racking. If you are spending this wonderfully loving holiday by your lonesome, here are things you can do instead of consuming copious amounts of chocolate and loathing every couple on planet earth.

Spoil yourself for once
Instead of spending money on something that normally costs half the price on the other 364 days of the year, why not treat yourself?

The items I’m talking about are flowers, candy and even dinner menu prices which get doubled because of all the last minute fellas going all out on every single Valentine’s Day purchase known to man. Seeing as you will be solo and won’t have to worry about spending half your rent on gifts that won’t make it to the weekend, take that money and spend it on yourself. Buy those cool shoes or splurge on that iPad you didn’t get for Christmas. Be your own Valentine.

Just hang out
Don’t do a darn thing. That’s right. Nothing.

Being single on Valentine’s Day is the only time you legitimately get a ‘Get Out Of Jail Free Card’ that allows you to spend money on reckless items such as alcohol and other paraphernalia that your nonexistent girlfriend or boyfriend would probably disapprove of. Literally just relax at home, throw your feet up and soak in the single life. Besides, when would you be able to get caught up on The Walking Dead?

Do something you haven’t done in a while
Usually, people have a hidden hobby somewhere inside themselves that gets neglected in their busy lives. Since you will undoubtedly be single on Valentine’s Day, why not spend the day and night absorbed in your own guilty pleasure?

Now, with your free schedule, you can finally beat that video game you bought months ago, or get back into working out, tend to your disaster of a room, re-read old books or whatever makes you happy.

Indulge in a celebrity crush
We’ve all got that one famous celebrity crush that we would do naughty things with if we got the chance. I don’t want to encourage anything too self-intimate, but why not toss on your favourite George Clooney movies or perhaps Google who the heck Leonardo DiCaprio’s wife was in The Wolf of Wall Street. This can be a good way to enjoy some sensual solo time with no strings attached. Literally.