100 year beer

To coincide with the Wilfrid Laurier University’s centennial, WLU Food Services have contributed a distinctly celebratory element to the occasion: special centennial-themed beer and wine.

Initially the decision was made to offer special wine at centennial dinners and catered events throughout the upcoming year, explained director of Food Services Ryan Lloyd-Craig. “The idea came up to do a beer as well,” he said, adding that since Grand River Brewing previously provided beer for the Grad Lounge, they were approached with the initiative in April.

“They’re a great partner … the brewery is in Cambridge; we figure it’s a local product,” he said.

The brewery was approached with specific parameters according to Lloyd-Craig. “It’s got to be lower in alcohol, gold in colour and something that’s easy-drinking,” he said. The brewery “Suggested a Kölsch style ale which is a German Oktoberfest beer.”

According to Wilfrid Laurier University Students’ Union (WLUSU) president Kyle Walker, whether the beer will be available at campus bars is still undecided. “We’re not sure if we’re going to carry it in Wilf’s yet,” he said. “If it’s going to be a draw for students, we’ll sell it.”

The name of the beer is a bit of a contentious subject, and while nothing has been decided yet, the list has been narrowed down after some suggestions were taken from the Laurier community and through WLUSU’s Facebook page.

“We got crazy names that don’t really pertain to the name of the beer, the idea behind the beer and what we’re trying to create in a special product,” Lloyd-Craig said of the names posted on Facebook. “Hawk’s Piss isn’t going to cut it.”

“It’s also a product that’s going to be sold in LCBOs, not just on campus,” Lloyd-Craig said, noting that the LCBO stores in Uptown Waterloo and at King and Northfield already carry Grand River Brewing’s beers. “That’s why we need a proper name for the label, it’s got to be approved by the LCBO.”

The initial order is for 5000 500mL bottles according to Lloyd-Craig and there is currently no word on pricing, although Grand River beers currently sell for between $3.00 and $3.50 a bottle at the LCBO.

The beer is in a sense about community awareness of the university’s 100th year, Walker said. “Students, faculty and staff are happy that Laurier is turning 100.”

“It’s a way to get the community involved to put some beer bottles on the shelf and some wine and show Laurier’s face.”